One of the first questions I’m always asked is “How much does it cost to create my memoir?” My answer is always “It depends.” We can custom design a project to suit your budget and needs. Fees to complete a memoir based on recorded interviews vary widely depending on the number of interview hours. If you wish to publish the manuscript in book form, we discuss your options such as cover, interior design and number of copies.
So what’s involved besides the interviews?
Your Relative Connections Memoir project is carefully managed, from your first contact with us through delivery of your finished books. Here is a typical scenario:
Free 1-hour project consultation
- We discuss what you want your project to cover. Do you want to create an autobiography of your life to date? Will you choose to focus on one part of your life or business? Will more than one person be contributing to the book? We get acquainted and schedule of interviews.
Interview & record
- We collect the stories and information that will go into the book. This is done through a series of relaxed, enjoyable interviews in the comfort of your home or office. I’ll suggest topics, but you always have final say over what we discuss and the memories you choose to share.
- Each project is unique, but the number of interview hours needed for a full life story is usually in the range of six to sixteen. Interviews can be conducted over a matter of days or spread out over several months — you decide. As much as possible, we will accommodate your schedule.
- You have complete control over what material goes into the final product; you can add or cut any text you choose – even after the interviews are complete.
- The digital recordings are transcribed.
Edit & shape the transcripts into an engaging narrative
- We remove the interviewer’s questions, organize the text, cut the “ums” and repetitions, do any necessary re-writing, edit and polish. Voice and personality are retained; your words in print will sound as though you’re talking directly to the reader.
- Once the editing is complete, you receive a copy of the manuscript to read and check.
Revise & proofread
- After you have read the manuscript and made any corrections or deletions, we revise and proofread and return it to you for final approval.
Select and prepare photographs and old documents
- Your story will be even more meaningful when you add photographs or old documents. We’ll work with you to select the best photos to go with your story, then digitize them at a very high-resolution.
How Long Will It Take?
The short answer is “it depends.” Many tasks and many hands are involved to transform your stories into a readable book. But here’s a link showing estimates of the hours are needed for each hour we spend together saving your stories. Your unique stories will result in a different calculation. In other words, as the car manufacturers say, “Your mileage may vary.”
Now it’s time to decide what to do with your stories.
Do you want paperback books, e-books, hardcover books, custom, deluxe leather-bound books? Or all three? Here’s a link to the variables related to printing your stories.
© 2016 Relative Connections